Dev Log 2 - Server Development Con't

Discussion in 'News' started by Chris, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Although it seems somewhat reverse, I've been working on creating the server for our game (yet to be named) prior to starting on the client. Today I created some basic logic for the server to determine what players were in range of other players as well preparing the server for sending and receiving player information such as move positions, what map a player is on, health, connection info and timeout handling. It is important for the server and client (player side) not to transmit/render every player on the map when only a small number of players may be in the vicinity. One way this is done is for the server to tell the client only players that are close by to render. In other words, there's no point in sending a bunch of info, such as what a player is wearing, what he/she is casting, direction walking, for 250 players connected when only 3 of those players are near you. With that said, there is some logic involved to that, which was taken care of today on the server side.

A bit more about the actual game. I've been thinking a bit more about concepts of the game and features we'd like to see implemented and in addition to having a market economy (discussed in my previous post briefly), skills, trades, all the good stuff of a great game, we've decided we're going to be also creating player farming :lol: . There's just something about planting and growing your crop that is fulfilling and satisfying. Likewise, being able to use that crop in combination with other elements, minerals, ores, equipment, to create items from them is even more rewarding (especially if they give you bonus stats or improve your character).

The overall game concept is yet to be released since it's still a huge work in progress, we are only at the very beginning. Yes we've created flow charts, documents, and formal plans and a road map, however things are still prone to change even with detailed planning. Nonetheless, it's an exciting time. No doubt there is a lot of work ahead of us but we anticipate creating a fun filled multiplayer game that everyone will enjoy. I'll be continuing tomorrow and perhaps have a little more to show.

Bagline and Kane Hart like this.
  2. Bagline

Bagline Active Member

Cube world could benefit from this type of this thinking. The server I ran for a few hours was using between 50 and 100 KB/s per player.

Alpha is alpha though.

Interested in hearing more in the coming months. Had no idea that stone legion might be home to such a project when I thought of the name.

3. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Yeah we found that Cube World did not have the most logical design when it came to its network footprint let alone its memory footprint. The more features we add the more bandwidth it will end up taking but it will never be anywhere close to that I would say the highest in a busy area would be 10-20KB/s and that would be insane high if we had a lot players and npc / movement in the area and not compressing any of the data.

One thing as you an tell and it's pretty important to us that Cube World had lacked a lot of is communication. We hope to provide a lot more of that then most if not all AAA titles out there. I personally feel that gaming these days lack a lot of the community aspects and even bring them on to help shape the future of the game from the begging to the end.

Stone Legion was a good name. To bad Storm Legion was taken by Rift. I was calling it like that so much and Electrobot was correcting me left and right lol.

4. Bagline

Bagline Active Member

Storms pass. Stone is here to stay.

lol... slogan?

5. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Almost accidentally clicked the like button :p

Fugner and Bagline like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.