Dev Log 3 - Project Name And Server Security

Discussion in 'News' started by Chris, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    I think it's time we come up with a name for our game development to distinguish between the Minecraft server and our multiplayer game that we've been building, which is completely separate and has nothing to do with Minecraft. Yes we're developing our own game, yes we have a story to tell through the game, but we do not have an official game title or working project name yet! The game is fantasy based, multiplayer, with working market economy, farming, crafting, and alchemy. Kane and I were discussing this and we've decided the working project title will be "Project Legion", thus whenever we say or refer to Project Legion, we're talking about the game we're developing. This is not in any way the official game title.

Project Legion's gaming server is coming along, we're working on basic security at the moment. After that, I'll be moving more into the client and creating the basic foundation for the game client. I wanted to create a basic server first to handle multiple player movement and connection so that when I'm developing and testing the client, the server would be able to handle multiple players connected at the same time for testing. By the end of tonight, we began working on security and a basic login framework.

Anyway, just a short post by me. More to come soon, waiting for Kane to get mono going on the server. I want to release a bare client for ppl to play around with just for fun and encouragement for me! The bare client will be really ..bare, just a "hello world" really for ppl to send msgs to our server until we begin making the game in Unity.

Thanks for reading!

JYETQCM and Kane Hart like this.
  2. Fugner

Fugner Active Member

I'm legitimately interested. It may be a bit early in the development process to decide but, How will the game be structured as far as subscriptions? Will the be a standard WoW system, $5-$15 a month. Or will it be Free to play with micro-transactions. Or will it be 100% free to play without any fee's. I really enjoyed the system Guild wars 2 had (with the exception of the $ to gold system) Offer the game for a set price and get rid of a monthly fee. But include a system that lets you pay Real money for things like pets, exp/karma boosts, and armor covers. Just fun little social stuff. Just wondering :). Excited to see what's to come.

Chris and Agility_ like this.
  3. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    At this point it's really up and down on that part. I think we both dislike how bad MMORPG's have gone with cash shops and is something we are both not keen on. We like to go more the route of paying for the game and playing with maybe some smaller bonuses or something if you Sub a month but nothing like get free mounts and tons of cool cosmetic items and all this nasty stuff that seems to plague a lot of MMORPG's these days. I mean in all honesty you just paid for the box version a game and we are already asking for you to buy gold, buffs, cosmetics, convince items, etc etc. Someone needs to cut the line somewhere and the server infrastructure theses companies make people believe the reason they have to keep charging and adding all this crap is just plain and simple a lie in most cases.

Now this is not a final thing at this point but this is our current thinking. And truth be told that our game will use a 100's if not 1000's of time less resources then Minecraft would and be even more complex server end.

Fugner likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Thanks Fugner for your interest, it's nice to see people replying to my posts. :D

As Kane has said, it is something we're going to have to decide on in the coming weeks. The overall goal is to create a game that is extremely fun, addictive (because we want you to keep playing it ;)), affordable for everyone to play, while at the same time financially sustainable and capable of paying for servers as well as labour costs (i.e. putting food on our tables while dedicating our full attention to this game). Your suggestions on different payment models is something to be determined.

One thing I can promise is that there won't be any cash shops for game balance changing items. All items will be available either through mob drops, players creating them or manufacturing them, etc.

Fugner likes this.
  5. Agility_

Agility_ Active Member

Very excited to see this game develop :) Keep up the work guys, let us know if you need input :p

Chris likes this.
  6. Burns1200

Burns1200 Moderator

• Administrator
    Sounds Great! I'm not really into the fantasy type of things but I might give it a shot good work!

Chris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.