OLD Stone Legion Reborn! Looking for Ideas and Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Kane Hart, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    So we been talking tonight on Teamspeak. Clearly our Build Server is dead and if we disable Whitelists it will just get worse overtime as we have no block protection and trying to add one at this stage is well just silly and impossible to deal with the griefs.

This is a 1.8.3 Server!

The idea is to start fresh and retire the old world. Not a big deal some people will lose a bit but overall there is not much there to begin with sadly. With the new server will come new ideas and new features. One the biggest thing we are looking into is testing out Protection system like Grief Prevention Plugin. This would allow people to setup a very simple protection system to protect their base.

I also have been considering adding a bit more structure to the server. 200 out protected spawn with a road network and someday a rail network. The idea is there be 2 nether and 2 end portals around the world around the 2k marks away from spawn. The goal is to promote people living further away and not spawn. We also like to add more features away from spawn overtime like mob arenas and more.

Rough picture of the idea:
    [​IMG]
    Grey = Spawn
    Red = Nether Portals
    Beige = End Portals
    Black = Roads and overtime a rail system?

We have the map set at max out 2k to start with. So this way we have time to develop a smaller area and overtime will expand out. Maybe as a goal once we finish a road/rail network.

The idea with this map is more people will be drawn to the 4 corners rather then just spawn. We hope to offer them a better appeal.

The rules will be light and we are not here to police or tell you what you can or can't do. Will not stop people from having fun but will intervene or people abusing server resources.

Plugins that we are considering:

Progression Update:
    4/9/2015:

Today we created the Survival server so we can do more proper testing on it. We added Better Shops Plugin with Vault Plugin. We decided Chest Shops is getting old and we wanted something that was more powerful and simpler via a interface. Also started to work on some permissions and created the survival database and go through some plugin configs.

4/8/2015:
    Today we got a lot started. We decided to Wipe the creative server and over the next few days will end up hosting the files to download. We now have a blank testing ground to not only test plugins and features we are adding to the server but also test out creations that people are planning on making on the Survival server. Electro and Bagline started plans on a waterway system with build in train / walkway.

We updated several plugins and tested them. Plugins so far in testing:
    • ByteCart
    • Chairs
    • dynmap
    • Essentials
    • EssentialsSpawn
    • Lift
    • PermissionsEx
    • prism
    • WorldBorder
    • worldedit
    • worldguard
    We talked more about our plans. We would like to bring back Trade 2.0 like place using Chest Signs. We also like to consider highly bring a new world for this as well as generating a new world MAYBE for Vanilla for people to get more clay and other rare resources overtime. This is quite a Maybe as our main world plugin we use is down.

4/5/2015:
    ElectroBot and I start talking about Minecraft and how we could change things and make it better. Overall we slowly built some hype up and others in the community seem to have their interests peaked. We decided it was time to start a brand new permanent server aimed at not forcing people to have to get whitelisted.

We Upgrade Creative to 1.8.3 and remove some broken plugins and upgraded others.

Commands / Features:

Normal User Commands:
    /who /list
    - shows players online
    /money - Shows your balance
    /money pay # - Let's you pay / give money to other players
    /money log - Shows your log of recent transactions
    /help - Shows help file
    /getpos - shows x,y,z,yaw,pitch information
    /seen name - Shows when player was last online or if their online
    /sethome - sets your home
    /home - teleports you to your home
    /recipe id - shows you the recipe to create the item.
    /sremove shopname - Allows the user to remove their own shop.

Normal User Features:
    • Colored Signs
    • Chair Sit (Right click stairs)

VIP Users:
    /ptime
    - Allows you to change the world time client side
    /pweather - Allows you to change the world weather client side
    /workbench - Allows you to open a virtual workbench.
    /enderchest - Allows you to open the Ender chest anywhere in the world.
    /top - Allows the user to Teleport to the highest block above them.
    /spawn - Allows the player to warp to spawn.
    /hat - Allows you to wear the block in your hand as a hat.

VIP User Features:
    • Better Shop NPC's

We would love to hear your ideas and suggestions. Stone Legion is more of a building community then say hunger games or counter strike like games. So we are not trying promote crazy outside the box ideas but trying to grow and work with some of our favorite features and expand on them more.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Chris likes this.
  2. ot0_m0t0

ot0_m0t0 Member

Well Kane we tried no spawning items many times before and its not for many people. I suggest giving out roles for infrastructure builders (roads and railroad) and let them spawn in block for that purpose only. They cant build anything else untill roads and rails are set up.
    This way atleast you got a nice layout of the map and some network of conections taken cared off.
    Also, teleporting (for regulars). Really nobody wants to spend days going around on a horse. Regulars have friends and want to trade fast and not spend hours traveling.
    Traveling for visitors is good cos they get to see stuff but not for regulars that have stuff to build and no time to do it. So a kind of private portal thingy (expensive, built at your home, can connect to different portals like a telephone).
    Apart from that.... you need gigantic builds that will be popular and attract a crowd.
    Thats all I got so far...

Kane Hart likes this.
  3. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    We don't really have issues with quantity tbh. If you were on the last server our issue was more lack of builders then supplies. I myself would not mind spending quite a lot of time doing either. But I feel like big part of our servers would be not spawning items. It has to be legit. You know why? Godcrafts biggest feature was the train system. No we will never have a big subway system again underground I doubt. BUT and I say big but here... If Godcraft cheated its system it would of never been known as the server with the biggest legit minecraft system in Minecraft history. I'm sure people beaten it by now but for its record for its work it was undefeated for years.

We were the ones who shaped these plugins like Minecart Mania.

So I feel very objective on that idea I would personally spend time helping with it. I think it's a lot more enjoyable now that we can automate a lot the resources to smelt it etc.

Not sure about teleports. It always feel cheap and getting around is easy more easy with a proper transport system overtime. This one the reason I voted grid based system as that makes it easier. Someone already suggested going away with Minecart mods but that would make things even slower. I could see maybe just maybe teleport being a VIP feature but even then I look at myself as a player I find that dirty. I can't say from current VIP Members what they think they be good for a response on that.

Building big things. That needs to be you and your friends. I can't force you or your friends to play and that is what we need is people to bring their friends to the server.

4. catageek

catageek New Member

Hi !

Remember me ? I am the developper of the ByteCart plugin and visited your server when you were experimenting my plugin, maybe 2 years ago. If your intention is to build a rail network, please consider to use ByteCart as it is the only plugin that aims to build a transit system. It is scalable and can adapt to the growth of a map.

ByteCart is stable now and has been adopted by 2 servers. Check their maps to see what can be done with ByteCart:

http://map.majncraft.cz/?worldname=world_nether&mapname=nether&zoom=4&x=-145&y=64&z=-335
    http://pia.hopto.org:8123/

Here is also my test map where I built 400 stations and 4 regions. You can see here the hierarchy of networks : backbone tracks, region tracks and "local" networks where stations can be grouped together and plugged to tracks.

http://bytecart.catageek.info/sample_world.jpeg

ByteCart does not replace MinecartMania or Traincarts, ByteCart is a routing layer. It has some helper blocks, but I did not want to recode the blocks already provided by existing plugins like Minecart Revolution. ByteCart is compatible with these plugins and can be used with Traincarts.

I would be pleased to help you to build the network if ByteCart is chosen.

Sorry if you feel this message is like an ad, I swear I do not have financial interest, only personal satisfaction when people all over the world are satisfied with my plugin.

ElectroBot and Kane Hart like this.
  5. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    @catageek You are bad at advertising. Gotta get the masses hyped:

;)

I actually like Bytecart if I recalled we had issues. Not sure what it was tbh but I liked the idea a lot. The biggest reason I like it a lot is it was a puzzle. It was not just magic it required effort and work and it created something amazing. Something that could be part of vanilla minecraft.

Your plugin reminds me a lot of Factorio. If you have never played factorio then you are missing a lot with signals and hopefully pre-signals in 12 update. This video alone made me want to play factorio but we can do it all in Minecraft and in 3D.

Here is a friend mine playing it:
    http://www.twitch.tv/colonelwill/b/645927237

I think people would enjoy Bytecart. I would for sure love learning to work with it and help get the materials to build a rail system. I think even @ElectroBot would like this plugin mainly because its not a magic plugin and I think he enjoys things that require time and effort and tinkering. He actually suggested no minecart mods at all but he was thinking the more magic ones.

I love to see what others would say who be into it and such. I know we are going to have to build a new population outside of StoneLegion so we might not have enough people to get such a structure setup but I'm sure overtime we can get it up and running.

I love to hear also from others if they have suggests not to Bytecart but to minecarts in general. Things you like or dislike or wish was different.

6. catageek

catageek New Member

Maybe you have a false image of how a network is organized. I was here when you tested it and drew your attention about some misconceptions, but I am the coder of the plugin, and also a ByteCart guru, so I can't take the place of the user, so I will always deny there are issues but only solutions :).

I will try to attract in this thread the owners of the servers from where I showed the map above. They actually exploited the plugin and build a network with it. Their testimonials may have a high value to explain how they manage the project at the server level.

7. iPeez

iPeez New Member

What sort of world will this be? Which biometype... or well ummh... what version of Minecraft will it run, and how will the world be generated. I am a fan of vivid and large landscapes. Previously I felt Stone Legion and Godcraft servers looked a bit dull, a part from the ASTOUNDING creations people made. :)

8. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    It would be vanilla generation but the difference between godcraft and what will be running here is massive terrain changes. The world looks 100% more organic and life like. Will be running 1.8.3.

iPeez likes this.
  9. Bagline

Bagline Active Member

If you want people to build, I think mobs should be disabled. Mobs don't sustain the fun in the "end game" (lol, after 30 minutes) they only add an annoyance to building. (the real end game for many)

I brought this up last time we launched the server, but we should have 1 spawn and 4 mini spawns distributed like so for maximum coverage:

[​IMG]

I also think they should be connected by warps and not rails/roads.

and yes, last time i already tested diagonal rails and they are faster: http://i.imgur.com/170nd9E.png

Burns1200 likes this.
  10. thief_a

thief_a New Member

Hi,
    i run Bytecart on my friends-server for public transportation, and it does a great job there, nobody would want to miss it there :)
    if you want to see it in action to get a better feeling on how it works and what it is capable of, you can login to my server.
    guest accounts are set up to test the plugin.

the dynmap is at http://pia.hopto.org:8123
    will the game runs as spigot 1.8.3 on pia.hopto.org:25566

i'm home-hosting, but server runs most of the time 24/7.
    feel free to test it out.

Kane Hart likes this.
  11. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    I don't want to poke holes into this:
    • Mobs are a must... This would not go over well sure multiple worlds but we are sort of over that. But we could add a .non mob spawning protection system to the game.. I mean there is next to no mobs while mining...
    • Warps are not fun. I know you are a builder and like to build but you be one single person out of none. The issue is we have no builders like you anymore. The days of Godcraft will never happen. It will always be small builds if you want to go large go for it we be happy to support it. But Warps are just a massive buzz killer to the game. Defeats roads, trains, and trains are like 50% of the game these days...
    • Diagonal rails are not enjoyable at all. Up down up down up down up down up down up down puke. You seem to be aiming for not something enjoyable not something looks good just something to get you to point a and b as fast as possible not caring what it looks like or how its done.

12. Bagline

Bagline Active Member

When it comes to diagonal vs strait line rails the entire way, I'd take diagonal. neither will look pretty, they're not meant to be scenic (going around mountains, etc) but personally I wouldn't want that at all because:

Warps (at those 5 locations, not for players properties) are a fast way to setup the utility of the regional rail system leaving you more time to invest on better looking local scale roads or rails.

Edit: when i say warps, i mean point to point, not "/warp spawn 3" crap from anywhere in the world.

13. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    I know what you meant for the warps. I mean who wants to invest in Local scale though when you have warps? I mean for me the idea or thought of it makes me not even want to play. Maybe I'm broken but if I want to move out far away from others I would enjoy building the infrastructure to get us back and forth.

14. Togy

Togy Supporter

• Supporter
  15. Bagline

Bagline Active Member

Will probably never fly as a public server, but I'll put the idea out there anyway.

Themed survival server with custom terrain that leaves nothing above ground plus some mod that adds a way to dig faster to make it more user friendly.(like tinkers construct hammers do a 3x3... honestly tinkers itself would be perfect.)

Think of it as one of those sky island survival maps... but moria.

16. thief_a

thief_a New Member

17. Burns1200

Burns1200 Moderator

• Administrator
    I know Kane's not a fan of the idea but... THIS IS A TERRIFIC IDEA

18. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    And the biggest downfall of Godcraft was no mobs... Explain how it is a terrific idea? Please give me a 100 pages reasoning to why it is a good idea to attract new players without mobs.

19. Burns1200

Burns1200 Moderator

• Administrator
    You get the people who want to build and not fight. The big reason I came to Godcraft was the no damage.

20. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    I guess I should add more information as people can't read my minds.

So the idea is we use some sort of zone protection plugin. This would allow you to protect your house or project from griefing by other players. Within this protection you can add players to be able to break or place etc. Also you can disable mobs from spawning within it.

We are also looking at adding other features for preventing mobs spawns. There was a mod before like a pillar that would stop mobs spawning in a radius. We would like something similar again for that so if you guys are say building tracks or doing some more heavy operations away from your base you can be more mob free without too many distractions.

Mining should not be much of an issue as we know strip mining ends up being the most useful way to mine. Mobs tend to not just spawn right behind your but strip mining if you place torches.

The world is smaller because we want to encourage players to be closer to work with each other. This is one the reasons why like having a road/rail system. As much as many of you might be burned out its the only big project any of our servers seem to do well and bring people closer. Almost everyone wants to donate stone or help in one way or another.

We also need to start helping and trusting new players. Rather then say wiki or google help the player out. If someone is wanting to join someones project then find something they can do and invite them. It will not only do well for them but also yourself in the long run. This is the number one reason Godcraft was amazing was because of cooperation. People would be friends and things went down hill when people started to go into their "private" groups. From there it was just the death of Godcraft. We need to stop thinking that way. We gotta remember each new player is a new slave to work for us :)

Some sort of advertising MOTD like forums ts rules etc.

Must Have: Clay Biome

New World for refresh of resources, Not for launch but overtime.

Trade World 2.0 style maybe a new world with tradeshop system.
    - Need a proper chest shop system
    - Need a proper econ system DB based....

Bytecart Will test on creative but might need a lot of help....

Sign Lift System......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.