OLD Stone Legion Update #4!

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Kane Hart, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator

Today is a pretty big day for the future of our Server. I think it's time to finally retire Mining Automation on the server. There is so many reasons why but I think the biggest is there is just no need for it. Why we throwing away our tools and using automated mining to begin with. This is Minecraft? We mined for years with nothing but diamond tools and 0 enchants. We have 3x3 Hammers and so many cool things you can do via mining by hand that there is just no reason to go back to automated mining.

We are not creating 1000's of solar panels to power something silly or stupid. We are not using GregTech. So there is just no reason for it. They create lag, they promote afking play and no one ever actually plays and their just devastating to the economy and lands.

So I propose a full ban on all Automated Mining from Magic mods to Tech mods as well as a ban on Mining that does anything past a 3x3 size. Tinkers is a great fun mod that has such crazy customization. I don't see why one would just play up a magic tree just for a pick and put the exact same enchants as everyone else. There is no balancing at all.

So what do you guys think? Will you learn to give up your old ways and come back to Minecraft?

Also what should we do about Ore Bushes? They are actually turning into the number 1 automated Mining on the server with a few people fully automating the bushes. Just want to hear your opinions!

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Chris and StanislawDK like this.
  2. Parad0x13

Parad0x13 Member

I don't see a problem with automated mining since I think it gives players some tech to work towards (myself included). I think there should instead be a drive towards community projects and promotion of things that put players together and I think that will keep people together. That's what drove me to play GC in the first place. If you take away auto-mining (vice the quarries) I think you'd isolate an important demographic of MC players.

I suggest a themed city of some sort

3. Crazylike

Crazylike New Member

I have never liked automated mining. I enjoy getting my own material, my own damn self, not having a machine get it for me while I stand in my base eating a sandwich. That is my opinion and I dont much care if others like using automated mining, but I dont.

Kane Hart likes this.
  4. ElectroBot

ElectroBot Moderator

• Administrator
    • Supporter
    RIP Laser drill.

Sure (IMO), let's remove automated mining including IC Miners, etc. For items/entites like Steve's carts miner we can remove the drill recipies. The exception to this would be possibly be the Railcraft tunnel bore.

For ore berries I recommend we disallow any kind of automated harvesting of them and highly suggest small farms (if needed).

Essence/tree/crop farms could still be automated, but need to be small (possibly up to 9x9 or 81 blocks worth per type).

5. Togy

Togy Supporter

• Supporter
    I agree, i mean some people have progressed to near end-game already, if we want to the world to last a long time (years) then putting a little more time/effort into it is good, otherwise it'll be over in no time

6. johnmg3

johnmg3 New Member

I am ok with removal of the automated mining. I would like to keep ore berries, but agree on limiting the automation on them.

7. BearJew1986

BearJew1986 Supporter

• Supporter
    Im all for getting rid of mining automation, I think it does nothing but cause eye sores and takes out the fun of the work that is put in to manual mining. I find enjoyment in knowing that everything I made is strictly from hand mining (3x3) and not just sitting AFK watching Kane's Let's Play YouTube videos while my auto mines are running and doing the work for me. Also, I do not agree with getting rid of Ore Bushes, you have to physically go find them and put the work into getting the berries and smelting etc etc. If it is that OP, maybe instead of 1:1 berry:nugget maybe see if it can be changed to a 1:0.5 or something. Just an idea, but definately ALL for getting rid of the auto mining eye sores. QUARRIES Suck!!

8. dronf

dronf Active Member

I'm kind of on the fence about it, but mostly on the side of less mass automated mining. I also enjoy anything that lengthens the game, which I guess is one of the reasons I loved gregtech. With large scale automated mining you can get to and build just about anything in no time. Also, since Big Reactors is nerfed pretty much to uselessness, there isn't much need to farm tons of chunks for fuel.

Was computercraft left out of this pack for the same reason?

9. Sunshaker

Sunshaker Member

I have never liked the quarries that leave huge holes in the ground, its just plain ugly. I've never seen the point to having 10,000 iron ingots just sitting in a storage system unused. I've never seen the point to having an OP power system that produces more power than you could ever use, likewise I've never seen the point to an ore generation system that requires an OP power source just to run.

As far as banning things go, I'm on the fence about that. First everyone gets enjoyment out of the game in a different way, who am I to spoil someone's fun because they want to play the game differently than I do, however if their fun is wrecking my fun that's not cool. Second the feeling that you are falling behind other players just because they got on the server weeks/days earlier than you, have automated mining and spend hours AFKing (or chunk loading) and thus have better stuff is a horrible feeling, however people should not be penalized for putting time and effort into building up (though how much effort is it to have machines do the work for you). For that matter being on the server for a few weeks building a pretty building and then have 1 player show up and get end game equipment in 24 hours is an equally horrible feeling.

Basically it comes down to balance, and Modded Minecraft has a horrible balance problem, it always has and likely always will (though lately there has been a power creep issue which has been making it worse). This leaves server communities a bad choice: ban almost everything and wreck everyone's fun, or ban nothing and have chaos (and unstable servers). I've seen 1 mod pack get it close to right, Attack of the B-Team, they picked mods that did not have excessive power generation and did not have machines that needed massive amounts of power, they did not have mods that had pumps or quarries (they were all YouTubers and wanted their game play videos to be about things other than building power plants and quarries because that was boring), they avoided mods that had chunk loaders and largely did things that avoided the need to load chunks. But the one thing they did to avoid balance problems was to crank the ore gen up to 300% (how about a 16 block diamond vein at level 54), there were people who never built anything more than a vanilla furnace and a TiCon hammer. This example is less about "let's do it this way" but more "there may be more answers out there than banning unbalancing items/mods."

10. Bagline

Bagline Active Member

I was just thinking this the other day lol.

Honestly? Ore duplication could go out the window too, but seems like a big task to remove all of them.

Tinkers ore/essence bushes would be okay if they're manual I think. (community project to build ore berry farm for public use?)

Edit: I do want to keep oreberries manual, gives me a reason to build another section of my base. it actually solves a problem minecraft has about big empty buildings with nothing to put in them. =)

Edit 2: Too late now, but draconium should be in overworld only, but rare. I got ~2400 from one comet and it was just tedious and boring to fly all the way out there, mine it all and fly back. Literally 3-4 hours and I have enough to make a 2.14 trillion RF storage thing.

IF we want to keep automining, please leave it to ore berries and laser drill.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  11. vvenaya

vvenaya Member

What about MFR automation? Should the rediculous tree farms not fall under the same category and not be removed?

12. Sunshaker

Sunshaker Member

The only things that MFR has over TiCon in terms of tree farms is the automatic collection of items and the instant growth option using the Fertilizer (I feel it is pretty rare to see a Fertilizer in use, but I could be wrong). The TiCon solution is to plant a 5x5 of oak trees, let them grow and then hit them with a Lumber Axe (it takes them all down). Now if you are using the tree farm to produce power there are better options (and I'm not talking BR).

13. StanislawDK

StanislawDK Active Member

I feel okay with removing automining! and I agree with the tinkers as a better alternative.

About the bushes: I like having the oppurtunity to get some ores quick, but it is up one individual player how one want to use it..
    My plans are not to automate it.

14. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Thank you for all your feedback. We have updated the rules and bolded them for now.
    Pretty much no auto mining from machines or block breakers etc. Also only 3x3 max sized hand mining. No 3x3x3 or crazier. So just 3x3x3 meaning there is few mods to use with these options and not forcing people to go one route.

15. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Just want to also say that other suggestions and ideas are still open to discussion.

16. RedDescent

RedDescent New Member

Automating mining should go, however the ore bushes should remain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.