StarMade Would you guys be interested in a Permanent Starmade Server?

Discussion in 'StarMade' started by Kane Hart, Nov 2, 2014.

?

Do you think you would enjoy playing on a long term StarMade Server?

1. Yes

93.8%
  2. No

6.3%
  1. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    So we been always looking for the next big thing that will last. I think we did it and that is StarMade. It's had 1000's of changes and Tons and tons and tons of new features and no we have not listed them all. But we think this might be the next big thing on Stone Legion!

I really think we can make a really nice whitelisted StarMade Server that can bring in 100's if not 1000's of players over the years. I think it will work out for both builders and pvpers and even PvE players. Will have to of course come up with rules and regulations but I think there could easily be a home for everyone. Build Stations, Build Ships, Build on planets, its all there! Check some the gifs at the bottom of the page!

I hope you take a read below of some of the new features that I wrote up for you guys and also comment. I love to hear your comments and thoughts. These devs are insane. They deserve to be checked out.

So what overall is new or changed in StarMade in the last 5 Months?
    • Almost 1000 Bug Fixes!
    • Optimization for up to 50% more fps (depending on hardware)
    • Optimizations for shadows - Shadows have been optimized by a lot, and you should now get a lot higher fps when using the. Also some small optimizations have been made to general drawing performance. Also, optimizations to the lighting calculations have been made, so chunks should now display much faster.
    • Optimizations for Lighting - The lighting system has been overhauled. The first thing is, you will no longer see any change of lighting indoors when the ship is moving. Also, dynamic shadows will no longer darken indoor areas when turned on.
    • Optimization for Lighting Sharder - Improved the values for the lighting shaders to look a lot more crisp. It also removes the problem of whites beeing flooded with light
    • Optimizations for Physics - physics optimization has been made to ensure further scaling of the game. Especially for huge ships colliding, new algorithms have been implemented to reduce the time taken to search for colliding blocks (in millions of blocks). Also the physics system will now attempt to solve situations where objects get stuck without warping to give a better ship battle experience. It will now just push the ships outside each other using a low-performance-mode of the physics.
    • New Textures - Realistic Textures You can even Click Here to See Animation Example!
    • Round Planets - Planets are now dodecahedrons! Screenshot!
    • Planet Core - The planet core is the center of the planet. It has hitpoints, and heals very fast if hit. But it can be destroyed. If that happens, the planet will blow up, and all the planet segments will fly off into space (for performance reasons they will not collide with other objects for that time, but they will become physical again once they stop).
    • Faction Point System - New Point system that you gather points overtime for player activity etc. This then can be used for special faction things like owning a galaxy.
    • Faction Territory - New system to allow you to own a 6x16x16 sector chunk at once also known as a Galaxy System. With owning this you will get notices when people leave and enter the System but also get a big mining speed bonus.
    • Scanners - is a new type of block for scanning systems. Factions that own a Galaxy System can scan the entire thing. Depending if your enemy or own the area you will get smaller or greater scanning bonuses.
    • Warp Gates - Warp gates are the stationary version of structures that enable players to warp. Their rage is 8 systems (128 sectors). They have a steady power cost on size, and also a one time cost per ship that passes through, which is based on the mass of the ship.
    • Jump Drives - You can put them on a ship, charge them up, and instantly travel up to 8 sectors.
    • Logic System - Another brand new feature is a fully fleshed out logic system. With this system you can design any functional system you like. Ever wanted to have blinking lights? Airlocks? Automatic doors? Automatic gravity? Automatic weapons? Traps? A computer in a computer? 6 New Blocks: Activation block, Not-Block, And-Block, Or-Block, Delay Block, Delay (None Repeating) Video Tut?
    • Factory Linking - Linking a factory to another has the effect, that the factory can move elements out of all other factories that are connected into its own inventory and proceed to use them for production. This means, you can basically rebuild a crafting tree with the necessary factories linked together to be able to create anything from just resources and rock.
    • New Raw Resources and Rocks - There are two types of raw resources: ore and shards. Those are now separated from blocks. That means they can spawn in any rock. If you salvage a rock that has a resource in it, both the rock and the resource will be placed in your inventory. If you destroy the block, the resource is lost, too.
    • New Crafting items - Several new block types were added as part of the crafting system, although they serve only as an intermediate stage in the crafting of other blocks, we gave them textures that you might find useful in decorating parts of your ship.
    • Personal Crafting - But now you can not only use factories to craft, it can also be done in the player inventory. The capsule factory and micro assembler are permanently available there. They work slower than factories, but they can do all basic things.
    • Crafting Update - Entire crafting system has been revamped to make it more enjoyable and balanced. This is an older example of the new recipes?
    • Dynamic Prices - Prices of items are now based each other
    • New personal Weapons - Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, A healing beam, power supply beam!
    • New Weapon System Revamp - boils down to linking different weapon systems to grant unique weapon combos. An Antimatter cannon can be turned into rapid fire flak guns or long range snipers. I believe the current count is 75 weapon combos not including tertiary effects. OLD Video But gives you ideas.
    • New Weapon System Effect System - The tertiary effects change how damage is applied. More damage to the shields or the power supply? Emp, Explosives, Ion, Piercing, Punch-Through, Push, Pull Stop, Perhaps explosive impact? The tertiary effects can also be used defensively. What is used to damage to enemy shields can help boost your own.
    • Colored Weapons - These can be achieved the same as other weapon combinations are, simply link any light emitting block to the primary computer and its projectiles will now be in that color.
    • Debris - A debris effect has been added to the game when taking out blocks.
    • Display block - Upon clicking on a display block (which now has a better texture), you can now change the color and the font size. Furthermore you can now use variables like shields and shield capacity as well as power of the ship in the text.
    • Custom station spawning -In this build, admins will be finally able to customize station spawning.
    • Mailing System - Players (and the system) can now finally send mail to other players even if they are not online.
    • Save/Load Templates to paste - You can now save what you selected with "copy" and load it to paste any time you need it.
    • HUD changes - Lots of Hud Changes overtime.
    • New Advanced Build Mode functions, - Undo/Redo, Copy/Paste, Remove Filter, Mass Place Size (10^3)
    • Replace Mode - This mode is now a checkbox in advanced build mode when selecting the "remove/replace filter" button in the bottom. Instead of just removing, this feature will replace the blocks taken with the one selected in the hotbar. This will make refitting ships a lot easier.
    • Scrap Stations - All newly generated/spawned neutral stations will now be scrap. This means no more salvaging stations and selling it for tons of profit.
    • Template Symmetry and Rotation - Templates now come with a full preview. They also work with symmetry now and can be rotated in all 3 axis with the mouse wheel (or Pg-Up/Down).
    • Build Helper - Game now supports build helper and there is 3 to choose from. Ellipsoids, which are spherical objects defined by 3 radii, Circles, which can be rotated in all dimensions, Torus, which can be defined by outer and inner radius. They can also be rotated in all dimensions
    • New Doors - There now are door wedges as well as two additional types of doors: Blast Doors and Glass Doors
    • Various New Blocks & Wedges - There have a lot of new blocks added, as well as a lot more shapes for existing blocks
    • New Decorative blocks - A lot of new decorative blocks have been added! Screenshot
    • Multi Slots - Basically these slots hold all shapes of the same type of block in one slot: Normal, wedge, penta, tetra, and corner. You can just drag them together to form a multislot, and right click them to take specific blocks out.
    • Missiles can be hit (Point Defense) - Missiles can not be shot by anything but laser. This will probably remain an advantage of using lasers. Missiles were the OP weapon in the game, and we hope, that making them attackable will allow especially smaller fighters a skill based chance to evade.
    • Shields Revamp - Shields are now divided into two blocks, to allow for better balancing. There is now the shield-capacity and the shield-recharge blocks.
    • Storage blocks filters - The storage blocks now essentially work like factories, but have a distinct use case. You can make list of which blocks and how many of them to take each cycle from other storages.
    • Collision Damage - Don't even know this exists but now there is another update has been done on collision damage, the damage effect should now be more realistic, based on the mass/velocity of the 2 entities.
    • Oculus Rift support - For anyone who owns Facebook ;)
    • Infinite Chain Docking - Chain docking is no longer limited. The only restriction is, that you can't currently dock anything on a turret.

Think that is insane? This is the next update dropping anytime now...
    • New Universe design (galaxy)
    • Star map
    • claiming territory
    • scanners
    • wormholes
    • Multi-color stars
    • realistic systems
    That is in 1 update that could be out tomorrow or next week not 100% sure!
    Video On it:

Here is a video showing random parts of the game. There is no trailer that shows everything though some being made this shows some random parts.

Some Amazing Gifs By Others:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. vvenaya

vvenaya Member

Lol totally forgot about this game... Have to try it

Kane Hart likes this.
  3. Dorkinator

Dorkinator Member

In regards to the poll I would have to play it to actually judge it, but looking at the videos you posted and what I remember from playing it before maybe. It looks interesting, it really depends if the crafting system is as involved as minecrafts or more of the hands off approach that space engineers takes. One thing that really takes away from this game is how square everything is. My final thoughts on this is that this game looks like minecraft in space verbatim where as space engineers is heading in another direction and being a space game influenced by minecraft.

4. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Thanks for your feedback. It's amazing how some the pain in the ass people are the ones who seem to always give the best feedback. I'm proud to announce that since we tried it they added all the nice slope like blocks and more decorative blocks as well.

I doubt this is the entire list: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/ID_list

The crafting was pretty complex last time with large factories and such and I loved that. Not sure if that is the case anymore though.

Will be getting back to Toronto (home) tonight so I can focus more on testing and putting some example videos up.

5. Dorkinator

Dorkinator Member

Having a large factory isn't what I meant, I meant how I had to craft wood>planks>sticks>diamonds>enchant 500x

That is what I meant by it being involved.

6. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    I will do a little research on it. That is something that is not well advertised.

7. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    This the best I could find right now. Just packing going back to Toronto in a few hours.
    http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Crafting

"Crafting in Starmade is effectively Minecraft (Tekkit) style tree crafting across multiple types of factories, and with a timer instead of a grid."

8. Dorkinator

Dorkinator Member

If they have the thing that just makes stuff that you want it wont be that bad.

9. Fugner

Fugner Active Member

[​IMG]
    i guess its alright

Edit: That chart is out of date now lol, i think there are more.

10. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
  11. Dorkinator

Dorkinator Member

After watching some videos of this I would try a survival world. Mining would definitely be interesting.

12. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Never heard of a Mining world. I think it's pretty much all survival or is there a creative mode also?

13. Dorkinator

Dorkinator Member

No idea, I just assumed there was survival.

14. rocketboyjka

rocketboyjka Member

So I got onto the server. Built a ship. Someone stole the ship. Now I have no credits and no ship. There does not seem to be a way to reset your character...so I'm kind of screwed at this point. Guess I'll go back to playing minecraft until the server is reset.

15. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    How did you find the server even :p Did not advertise it haha. That was a test server so no big deal. At least we learned something about protecting spawn.

16. Fugner

Fugner Active Member

he has been a member since january

17. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    No I mean the test server.

18. rocketboyjka

rocketboyjka Member

Uh...it's listed on the global starmade server list?

19. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator

• Administrator
    • Administrator
    Yeah it was, Just odd you were able to find it so fast after we launched the test server like within moments lol.

20. rocketboyjka

rocketboyjka Member

Right place, right time. I guess if we do have a server I think it would be nice if it was a little more PvE (like Minecraft build) and a little less free for all PvP...which we can get anywhere online....